Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stealing Christmas

 For many years my friends and family have (I hope) affectionately referred to me as either "Scrooge" or "The Grinch". I only buy for my direct decendants, and then I do so frugally. My friends know that, although I may not buy them a present, I love them. They know they can call me at 3:00 in the morning and I will be on my way.

Beats dish towels, don't you think?


Christmas is, traditionally, a time for gift giving, good will toward men, and just generally doing for others less fortunate. All admirable things to be sure, but...

...there are 11 other months in the year...

Long ago, when I was a fresh-faced, 17 year old Student Council President, I heard a woman declare, "People aren't just hungry in November and December." That statement made a lasting impression on me. We, as a society, tend to rise to the occasion. We offer our hand to the poor and needy, then quickly use that same hand to pat our self on the back for our efforts. We enjoy the brief, poignant high that comes from hearing a child whisper thank you, or a single mom shed grateful tears.

But what are they eating in January and February? Who's buying the summer clothes for the children of that same single mom. Who's making sure she has enough gas to go to work?

Far be it from me to take away anyone's enjoyment of the holiday season. I adore the get togethers, the meals, the verbal sparring between siblings and cousins, and the tender, shared moments of remembrance.
But, months after the tinsel is tossed and the packages are emptied, we must remember that a child may still be hungry, a parent may still be struggling and a need may still exist.

What then?

I think I'll just pretend it's Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment